May 7, 2014 § Leave a comment
To finish up the diagrams I still needed to fully apply the textual aspects, these being the numbers of my data set, and the days. I wanted to keep a uniformity with the typographical aspects, deciding upon the use of a classic typeface: Helvetica, but using a lighter version of it. I set the tracking to 100, to add a bit more distance between the type, making it feel more spread, rather than compacted, and retaining the same type size throughout my designs.
For the time diagram I aligned the text along each line, which represent a day, of which the labelling would very make clear. I’d make sure the types baseline shift was at a comfortable level which worked well with the design, merging it. The labelling of the textual data also follows the same layout as the day tags, with a decent gap between each. To finish this diagram up, I added a subtle fade to the end of each line that corresponds to the days, making it ease out.
The distance diagrams text was set up to differentiate from the time diagram, but also for it’s practical aspects. The data from the time diagram is plotted along a line, but in the distance diagram it is plotted within 1/7th of the circle. For this reason I added the day annotation along and around the sections, so again it’s easy to understand and read, clearly showing the viewer what days are which. The numbers (previously mentioned in it’s sole blog post), were stacked within the radial guides, but aligned horizontally, keeping the colours ordered the same (in a circular motion) on each day. I made the radial framework very subtle, getting less opaque as it expands, meant to represent a sonar like diagram.
I decided to revamp the cost diagram, as I felt it was too boring, it looked like a rather bar chart diagram, and also it was too wide. I changed this by contorting the diagram, bending it over so it almost turned into a bar from a bar chart itself. This compacted the design to making it better in my opinion, and moving away from the typicality of a bar chart. Upon doing this, I also wanted to move the day annotations, as they seemed to extrude far too much for my liking, so I wrote them in shorthand (to fit) and applied them underneath the data plot, rather than on top.
I removed all of the frameworks and writing from the diagrams to leave behind just the design itself, which I thought looked rather nice, and I might implement somehow.